Well, all I am thinking about lately is the 'day of the Lord', the end of days, eschatology, and whether the world is going to be renewed, burned to smithereens then renewed, or destroyed and not renewed. Pleasant, huh?
For my class on the Petrine letters I am writing my final paper and doing my final debate on 2 Peter 3 and what this chapter of this small letter tells us about the future of creation. The whole issue is interesting for many reasons, most notably, the differences between dispensational and other forms of theology. What does the judgment of God mean? What does burning of 'the elements' mean? What are 'the elements'? Where is the Christology in this passage? What are the theological implications for those of us who live here on this God-given earth? Destroy it or try to help renew it? What is a new heaven and new earth? Completely new? With elements of the old? Hmmmm.
Interestingly, my research is interesting. I am turning into one of 'those' students. Who actually kind of likes this stuff. My other major paper for the semester is going to be an exegetical discussion of Romans 8:18-24. If you care, this is also about creation groaning for renewal. Between the two, I am really getting my fill of discussions about whatever the end is.
Speaking of the end, the end is in sight for Kennan and myself. 3 more weeks of his clinical experience. All he needs to do is keep progressing and they will pass him. Pray he believes in himself and keeps progressing. He can do this. I know it in my bones. My semester ends in 2 weeks. Then a week of quilting (which I'd rather be doing right now) and then Christmas with family.
This is the first year that I have actually dreaded Advent. We have been waiting for years...I don't want to wait anymore. This speaks volumes about my life. I am so tired - of all of this junk. Hopefully this advent season will prove to be one of real, true, holy, celebration.
28 November 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I don't think we have a good concept of the afterlife at all--and, how can we? I'm not sure that the dead are in heaven looking down on all we do. The Scriptures talk about how "the dead in Christ will rise first" when He returns. So, what's going on in the meantime?
And how does the Heaven God resides in now interact with the "New Heaven and Earth" that is to come?
Also, I've been reading a book on Judy Howard Peterson's recommended list. It's a fantasy story of a woman who brings the Words of God to her planet for the first time (the author is actually Mormon, but her theology is pretty good for the most part). But she talks about how our spirits exist before we are bodily born. Which is an interesting thought--are our souls an original part of creation?
And in the end, do the answers matter?
Post a Comment