14 June 2012

Birthday Weekend

Kennan's birthday was this past Monday. Last weekend we went to Seward, on the other side of the Kenai Peninsula. We decided to go camping, go hiking, and actually enjoy the beautiful parts of the drive. We typically just are trying to get somewhere quickly and this time we stopped and enjoyed the view because there aren't that many more times we are going to see it. This was our last weekend in Seward and it was beautiful and bittersweet.

This is a cormorant (I think) and if you look closely it has its wings spread and is sitting on that log. We have no idea what it was doing, but it sat that way for over 5 minutes. Also, this is the Kenai Lake. Look at that turquoise water.
When camping, bacon and eggs for breakfast is just a beautiful thing.
This is Exit Glacier. The outwash plain (the part that melts off the glacier) was fairly shallow so we could jump over the small streams and walk straight up to the toe of the glacier. It was awesome.
This is me, touching a glacier. I'm also standing on a glacier because under the sediment covered portion there is also glacier. Isn't that awesome? I love it. Who knew I would do something like this in my life?
Never fear. We did not go past the sign...but we wanted to.
Kennan builds towers. This is the tower he built at the glacier. You can sort of see the milky blue glacier water behind him. Apparently the glacier is moving 1/2 an inch every hour. 
Seward was horribly destroyed after the earthquake and tsunami on Good Friday in 1964, so they are much more concerned with tsunami safety. The waves here can get much, much larger because of the deep water in the bay. There are signs everywhere. We only have the bottom sign in Homer, not the top sign. So I figured I should take a picture of it for posterity.
Wearing stocking hats by the bay on June 10. It was that cold.
And, for the actual birthday, the sun came out. Sun shining on the ocean is one thing I will miss dreadfully.
Overlooking the Kenai River.
We went on another hike to Skilak Lake, which is behind us in this photo.
This photo seems like a description of my current life. This is an area that was ravaged by fire and the forest is slowly coming back to life. Beautiful growth.
Goodbye Seward. We'll miss you.

5 comments:

Clarissa said...

Beautiful pictures! It looks like the two of you had a great time. :)

Tara said...

Too funny! I was on Modern Alternative Mama and read your comment. I saw "Alaina" and thought "What are the chances that is the Alaina that I know?" So I clicked and found you! Small world!
Jordan and I both have Alaska as THE place that we want to go in the great "some day!"
You are a long way from Sully my friend! :)
~Tara (Van Wyhe) Vos

K said...

so, so beautiful! and i can totally get the "bittersweet", especially after seeing those photos. my heart leaps and aches for you all at the same time.

Jane D. said...

LOVE all your beautiful Alaska photos! I will miss them when you move. Feeling your mixed emotions about it all. Praying for you throughout it all!

Sarah Anne said...

Happy Belated Birthday to Kennan :)