18 September 2008

I'm Learning...

So, I am finally back in the swing of things here in seminary life. I'm learning. Instead of complaining about homework I am trying to shut up, be thankful for this time, and learn something because these people are wise.

One of the professors that I have consistently learned the most from in seminary is Klyne Snodgrass. The things he says consistently blow me away. I told Kennan last night that whenever I sit in his classes it feels like I can't type fast enough on my old Dell laptop because everything that comes out of his mouth is golden.

So, anyway, I am taking a class on Romans right now with the aforementioned professor. One of the thoughts I am consistently pondering that has bubbled up from this class is this:

I know we are all 'against' works righteousness. I get it. However, if you really believe that there is a Trinity in fellowship - if you really believe God created the world - if you really believe that Jesus Christ died on a cross and was resurrected - if you really believe you have the Holy Spirit guiding and directing you - and if you really believe that you have been covered in the amazing gifts of grace and mercy - if you really believe all these things, won't your life change? If faith is real, doesn't it lead to obedience?

The question from my class is this: Can you have faith without obedience? If there is no obedience, then is there faith?

Klyne is consistently saying, "The text is not to us, but it is for us." Last night we spoke about how the church really has neutered the gospel message and watered down what conversion is. And how this watering down is affecting people in the church and out of the church. This is scary.

Lutherans, especially, (because of Martin Luther) want to really stay away from any form of works righteousness. I understand this. But the Bible talks about how we will be judged according to our works - look in Romans 2. James 1. It is there. "Do not merely listen to the word and deceive yourselves. Do what it says," James 1:22. I can't tell you that I know what this means, but I can tell you that I'm questioning lots of things in my past, present, and potential future. I can say that I have a lot to think about. What I cannot do is ignore this.

So, I'm thinking.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember reading that Martin Luther called the book of James the "epistle of straw" - guess he didn't like it!

kgkkamata said...

A recent quote from "Truefaced": "obedience comes from faith." Which makes sense, because we believe God has the final say about what is good and what is not good.

Which means that rejoicing in beauty, choosing to take time with someone, etc, could all be acts of obedience if those are done out of a belief that God actually cares about those things. Obedience sounds for me like doing something hard, but maybe that's not necessarily always the case. That's what I think . . . what do you think?